Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Dwelling on the Past?

While it's true that I grew up on pop music, hard rock, progressive rock and heavy metal, it is incorrect to assume that I have no appreciation for classical music and opera. To the contrary, I love these genres.

One of my favorite operas, in fact, is Richard Wagner's "Lohengrin." I discoverd this musical treasure through my late uncle, Bob, who I adored. Wagner's music is majestic and at the same time introspective. It has hooks as well as mystery; beautiful melodies and intense drama.

I think that many people who have only been exposed to popular forms of music would, if they truly listened to any such work as this, gain an unexpected pleasure and wider perspective on music and indeed all forms of artistic expression, thereby.

Beyond just being great, inspring music, this particular work is also very intelligent and thought-provoking. It is a story of magic, romance, betrayal and intrigue. I leave it up to you, my wonderful audience, to explore the details of this excellent story.

Next few posts will highlight more classics as well as more Death Metal and pop/rock. I look forward to sharing these with you. Evanescence and Deicide are in my sights as well as Mussorgsky and Leos Janacek. Dark Blessings!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean Lafitte said...

Welcome back, Jon.

I don't know Lohengrin as well as I know Tannhäuser or the Ring cycle, but one other thing that people who only know pop stuff can learn from Wagner is the glory of length. We're too hooked on quick gratification and instant this-n-that to remember how good slow cooking can be.

G.B. Shaw famously said that Wagner had great moments but terrible quarter hours. A nice quip, but that fact is that there are climactic musical moments that just cannot be experienced without a long, long buildup. And if that's achieved, the transcendant glory will never be forgotten, and is worth the wait.

Curiously, I think a lot of youngsters have gotten a clue about this from the Harry Potter books, which have gotten more and more immense as the series has worked out. But a lot of kids have learned that sticking with a long, long book can give you rewards that no short one can.

BTW, check your mail.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home